Fabrizio Catanese works on algebraic geometry and complex geometry.
His main contributions have been to the field of algebraic surfaces, especially classification and moduli spaces of surfaces of general type, and of higher dimensional complex manifolds.
In his work he uses a variety of methods, ranging from projective geometry, commutative and homological algebra, group theory, topology, complex analysis and differential geometry.
He has also given important contributions to periodic meromorphic functions, Einstein metrics, real algebraic geometry, differentiable structures, topology of algebraic varieties, topology of moduli spaces of curves with automorphisms, uniformization questions.
- 1976 - 1980 : Associate professor, University of Pisa
- 1980 - 1997 : Chair of Geometry, University of Pisa
- 1997 - 2001 : Chair of Complex Analysis (Gauss Chair), Universit¨at G¨ottingen
- 2001- present : Chair of Algebraic Geometry, Universit¨at Bayreuth
- 1977 - 1978 : Visiting professor, Harvard University
- 1981 - 1982 : Visiting Professor, IAS Princeton
- 1986 : Visiting Professor, University of California San Diego
- 1987 : Visiting Professor, Columbia University
- 1988 : Visiting Professor, Max Plank Institute Bonn
- 1990 - 1991 : Visiting Professor, ETH Zurich
- 1994 : Visiting Professor, ICTP Trieste
- 2001: Visiting Professor, Florida State University, Tallahasse
- Prize of the Italian Mathematical Society (1974)
- Bartolozzi Prize (1984)
- Golden Medal of the Societa’ Italiana delle Scienze (1993)
- Ordine del Cherubino of the University of Pisa (1995)
- Corresponding Member of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei since 1998
- Ordinary Member of the Akademie der Wissenschaften G¨ottingen since 2000
- Director of the CIRM Trento (2005-2011)
- National Member of the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei since 2013
- Member of the Academia Aeuropea since 2015
- / / FAX) 82-2-958-
- School of , Korea Institute for Advanced Study
85 Hoegiro, Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul 02455, Korea